Monday, August 11, 2008

New York, New York

"There are roughly 3 New York's. There is, first, the New York of the men and women who were born there, who take the city for granted and accepts its size, its turbulence as natural and inevitable. Second there is the New York of the commuter, the city that is delivered by locusts each day and spat out each night. Third, there is the New York of the person who was born somewhere else, and came to New York in quest of something... commuters give the city its tidal restlestness, natives give it solidity and continuity but the settler give it passion"

This is about the 3rd or 4th time I've read this piece. The 1st time I read it, I couldn't believe how true it was. Being from New York I can say I have and still do at times take it for granted. I cannot really connect to the commuter except to say that native or not we are all locusts to the city. As for the settler well in essence native New Yorkers are settlers. We have settled for the noise, crime, pollution, tourism, beauty, parades, melting pots etc. Why are we still here? Because we all are praying locustsss who take the city for granted yet are in quest of something within the city that has everything. So to my native wearing yankee fitted new yorkers, my business suit wearing commuters and my 'I love New York' tee rocking tourists, keep coming. With out you, there is no New York.

AFF,

JeJa

No comments: